【www.xieat.com - 娱乐】
1. Lucilla often asks her sisters to retell the story.
2. He had very little in common with his sister.
3. She made liberal use of her elder sister's make-up and clothes.
4. Well we did have a midnight feast, me and my sister.
5. My sister Yvonne also came to live at Ockenden Cottage with me.
6. Both of my sisters moved even farther away from home.
7. She had a strong and supportive sister who urged her on.
8. My sister is the same height but only a size 12.
9. The parting from his sister had a positive effect on John.
10. As a little girl, Karan was closest to her sister Gail.
11. Now that she was retired she lived with her sister.
12. Anita envied her sister's amorality and contempt for public opinion.
13. Neil played, by ear, the music he'd heard his older sister practicing.
14. She used to play games of make-believe with her elder sister.
15. My sister helped me find the money for a private operation.
Certain personality traits are often attributed to oldest, middle and youngest children. But a new study found that birth order itself had no effect on character, though it may slightly affect intelligence.
Researchers analyzed three large ongoing collections of data including more than 20,000 people: a British study that follows the lives of people who were born in one particular week in 1958, a German study of private households started in 1984 and a continuing study of Americans born between 1980 and 1984.
研?a href="http://www.xuexila.com/yangsheng/kesou/" target="_blank">咳嗽狈治隽死醋?万多人的三大组持续收集数据，其来源包括一份英国研究。该研究追踪了1958年某一星期出生的人的生活状况。还有在1984年开始、关于普通家庭的一份德国研究，和关于在1980至1984年间出生的美国人的一个持续研究。
They searched for differences in extroversion, emotional stability, agreeableness, conscientiousness, self-reported intellect, IQ, imagination and openness to experience. They analyzed families with sisters and brothers, large and small age gaps and different numbers of siblings. But no matter how they spliced the data, they could find no association of birth order with any personality characteristic.
The study, in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, did find evidence that older children have a slight advantage in IQ scores, but the difference was apparent only in a large sample, with little significance for any individual.
在《美国国家科学院院刊》(Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences)上刊登的该项研究，确实发现证据表明年龄较大的儿童有轻微的智商优势，但差异只有在大样本才明显，对个人来说意义不大。
The lead author, Julia M. Rohrer, a graduate student at the University of Leipzig, said that birth order can have an effect — if your older brother bullied you, for example.
主要作者、莱比锡大学(University of Leipzig)的研究生朱莉娅·M·罗勒(Julia M. Rohrer)说，出生顺序就可能会有影响，比如你的哥哥可能会欺负你。
“But these effects are highly idiosyncratic,” she said. “There is no such thing as a typical older, middle or younger sibling. It’s important to stop believing that you are the way you are because of birth order.”